Securing your future financially is one of the most important things one should think about. It is not just about being financially independent or blessed in the present. It is also not about how much balance you have in your BHIM app.
It is about how you manage your money better to ensure a secure life of independence and fulfillment of specific essential needs. What’s the point of earning money if it doesn’t allow you to relax a little in your old age?
If you have already invested in something reliable, work in an organized sector, or have a social security scheme you can rely upon, you have your future secured. But for people who work in unorganized sectors, there’s no social scheme or employer’s fund they can depend on after their working days are over.
What is an unorganized sector, and why is the scheme focused on this section?
When we talk about an unorganized sector, it means any small business or enterprise which is owned by a household or group of private individuals engaged in selling and production of goods and services. The company usually has less than 10 workers.
- These businesses don’t have legal status or any formal access to government schemes or financial aid.
- The work is more labor intensive, and the individuals are compensated poorly.
- Moreover, there’s no system of paid leaves, unlike in the organized sector.
There was no pension scheme for individuals working in an unorganized sector to fall back on in their old age until Atal Pension Yojana APY.
Although, any citizen can benefit from this scheme. Read more about the eligibility criteria below.
What is Atal Pension Yojana?
Released as a part of the 2015-16 budget, Atal Pension Yojana, or APY, is a pension scheme for individuals aged 18-40. It is administered by PFRDA (Pension Fund Regulatory and Development Authority).
Under this scheme, individuals aged 18-40 can contribute a certain amount every month as the premium for the plan. Post attaining the age of 60, the individual will be eligible for a minimum of Rs. 1000 to Rs. Five thousand per month, depending on the size of premiums.
The Government will also co-contribute the premium up to Rs. 1000 for people who are not covered by any social security scheme and are not income taxpayers.
- Aged between 18-40 years
- Have a savings bank account
- Aadhar card and registered mobile number
How can you register for the APY scheme?
The easiest way to register for the scheme is using the Airtel Thanks app.
Airtel Thanks is a money bank app used for recharge, online payment, money transfer, shopping for certain products, etc.
You can also link the app to your BHIM app for instant payments.
Steps to register for the APY scheme using the Airtel Thanks app
- Download the Airtel Thanks app and register.
- Head over to the ‘Pay’ section and open an Airtel Payments Bank Savings Account. It is a digital account approved by RBI. You need to do a quick document and video verification for opening the account.
- After registering, head over to the ‘Shop’ > Financial Services > Atal Pension Yojana.
- As a money bank app, Airtel offers excellent financial services. Register for the scheme. Pay your first premium using your savings bank or your linked BHIM app.
- Pay your monthly premiums on time using the Thanks app.
- Relax in your 60s!
Also, educate and assist your house help or other individuals in unorganized sectors to register for the scheme using the Airtel Thanks app!